Friday, July 31, 2009
"Eagle are Gone and No More Caribou"
In the past six years, much of my time was spent working for a non profit organization which provided programming for inner city youth. 90% of the youth on average, were of Aboriginal descent. Through the support of the organization, a great emphasis was placed on learning about Anishnaabe/Ojibwe, Oji-Cree cultural differences and similarities, as well as the ongoing political situation regarding the treaties, residential school impact, and the youth's sense of identity within their culture.
Since moving to the B.C. interior, I have had the opportunity to process some of the impact of this experience through art. I am also exploring my reactions towards the devastation of land, individual identity, and culture as described by the individuals I have worked with.
In this project of mixed media including fence posts as the canvas, I used the theme of territory to explore ownership, boundaries, political correctness, and the implications of these concepts.
Title: Eagle are Gone and No More Caribou
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment